February 10, 2013

EMBELLISH a flour sack towel for your kitchen

I found an easy and quick way to embellish kitchen flour sack towels.
***************
Find your fabric that you like, gather thread and rick rack, lace or hem tape to embellish your ruffles when you are done.
 Tear your fabric, or cut it. I like like the torn look so I tear it which is very easy to do. Snip the fabric at the edge and then pull both sides and it will tear along the grain line of the fabric.

 You will need a strip that is 2 inches wide. Tear it the entire length of the width of your fabric. The basic width of cotton is 44/45".

 Fold under the raw edge of your strip and pin down to the towel 1" away from the edge on the right.(see photo below)  Most flour sack towels are longer (length) on one end then the other end (width). You want to sew your strip across the short width if there is one.

Now fold your towel in half and your fabric strip in half to find the center.
Pin the center of the fabric strip to the center of your towel. You are going to gather with out gathering the strip on your machine and pulling threads (gathering fabric makes me impatient...I just want to get on with the sewing part!)
 Find the center again of your fabric strip (just eyeball it, this isn't perfect) and pin it to the middle of these two pinned areas.

 You keep pinning the center of your fabric strip between the pinned areas until you have pinned most of your strip down.
 Pin, pin, pin....
I pulled the fabric up a bit like the picture above, found the center of it, then placed it down on the towel and pinned it.

 After you pin down most of the strip you are going to sew, and while you are sewing you will hold down the ruffled poofy part (the part that sticks up)...
 You are creating gathers as you go rather than gathering with basting and pulling threads to get your gathers.  This isn't a quilt where perfection or exactness is important.

After I was done with the gathering and sewing it down, I added rick rack to one towel and gathered hem tape to another.

 Quick and easy, not perfect, but a little prettiness added to your everyday life in the kitchen.

 I found a little blue crocheted trim and added that to the bottom of my towel on the left.

Thanks for joining me. If you make one please let me know I would love to see it!
Joining in of course with these wonderful parties!


The Chicken Chick

http://www.iheartnaptime.net/sundae-scoop-link-party-66/
http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com

center>



http://diyshowoff.com/category/other/that-diy-party/
http://betweennapsontheporch.net
Blessings,
Debbie

10 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

I would have never thought to gather it the way you did...but it is very cute. Right now I have a Valentine towel that I bought at a store but it has a great ruffle on it!

Stacey said...

Those are so cute! Do you actually use them? I confess to having some that are for decoration only. They just make me happy. :)

priscilla said...

Cute towels ! Love the fabrics and ric rac !

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Your tea towels are just darling:)
I'm pinning them:)

Can you tell me how you did your (pin it) on each photo.

Thanks Debbie!

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

This is sooo cute! I love it! AND I still love the little pillow I won from you. I have it on top of my hutch. For now. :)

Ruth said...

I love your towel. It's so cute. I need to make some of these pretty towels.
Ruth

Heather's Stitches said...

Your kitchen towels sure did turn out so nice, The possibilities are endless with fun fabric!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

These are so cute! You will be one of the features on Monday at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Cindy said...

I love the tea-towel! I have the very same colours in my kitchen and I would like to find a fabric with the turquoise and red together. I would like to make a couple of towels like that.
Have a great week.

Jami Clifford said...

I love your tea towels!! If you haven't already had a chance, I'd love for you to stop by and share them at the 100th Tuesday To Do Party over at The Blackberry Vine! http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2013/02/tuesday-to-do-party-100-99-list-makers.html

Smiles!
Jami
The Blackberry Vine
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Pin It button on image hover