August 2, 2012

Always wear pretty colors when you feel sad...

When I was leaving for college a few (cough, cough) years ago...ok over 30 years ago. My mom stopped me with a last thought....she said "you know if you ever feel sad, that is the day you should put your prettiest outfit on, you know the prettiest colors, and jewelry, wear jewelry too."
I thought of that today while my daughter was moving her things out of her room....
I've found it does help to wear something pretty when you are feeling blue...

My daughter and her new hubby (who we love) are moving all her things out of her room, moving into their home in Oklahoma (college for a few more years).  

It is hard to see everything moving out, all the boxes....

special things we did in her room. Pillows and duvet we made for her room....yet it is very happy too. 

The wedding was everything we hoped it would be, our son  in law is everything we hoped for...

but this change of seasons in my life is just...different.
I think a new project will do me some good, do my heart and mind good. 

YOu know when you are cleaning, painting, organizing, ordering things online, it helps to organize your thoughts and get your mind on track.  I think I just made that up. 
But that process works for me....being busy with a new project...

along with a pretty (new) outfit!  

So I'm looking on Pinterest for some bedroom ideas, but I have landed on some calm and peaceful colors for the NEW GUEST ROOM. I told my husband just to go with me on this one...I need to paint, clean, redecorate...it will be my therapy for a happy heart.
 I like the neutral, soft, calm, kind of shabby....french country look.


 photos: Pinterest-French country

So if you have any encouraging words I would love to hear them.
Blessings,
Debbie

15 comments:

Shelia said...

Hi Debbie! Oh, my heart is remembering this feeling. I think a project will be just the ticket for you. Now your pretty daughter looks so much like you - pretty mamma pretty daughter. I know whatever you do in your bedroom will be lovely like everything you do.
I'll keep you in my prayers.
Shelia ;)

ohiofarmgirl said...

You have a great start..stay busy. Cry when you need to and smile when you know she is right where she wants to be. Blessings, Dianntha

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

Well, my situations are different....but be thankful she has a wonderful hubby, she is happy, and you have a room to decorate....go for the GOLD!!! do that room shabby proud....that should keep you busy for a bit....and then, well, there are the grandchildren!!

~Sara said...

I have been through that with both daughters(and they moved from one coast to the other!). Our two sons just moved out this year(dorm living)One at Simpson University(Redding Ca)to study ministry. It is hard to let them go, but you have to. I agree with you to redecorate! It does help to throe your self into a project. Good therapy. Sending hugs~ Sara

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

It IS hard, Debbie...such a bittersweet and nostalgic time! You do get used to it, though, and being creative and having a good project helps! XO

Paula said...

I think your mother's words of wisdom are wonderful~ it reminds me of something my mother would have said.
And I love the look in the last two pictures... those shabby pillowcases made me squeal!
(I came over from Tammy's blog, Country Girl at Home~ enjoyed my visit with you today!)

bluebird1959 said...

Tearing up already Debbie! Your post hit home for me, especially this time of year. Our one & only is soon to be off for her 4th yr of college, and I STILL get all misty-eyed when I see her driveaway with her car all packed up at the end of summer. But like you, my heart is filled with such love & happiness for her & the wonderful like she has, so it is always a bittersweet parting. I always go full blast with projects in the fall...this year it is a kitchen remodel. This motherhood things can get a bit pricey! If you are looking for a good, cathartic cry, go to YouTube and listen to Suzy Bogguss's song, Letting Go. Gets my waterworks going every time! Hang in there! Jane

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

What a gorgeous wedding your daughter had!
My girls are 11 and 9 and I can't stand the thought of them going off to college. I want to keep them young! That is our job in life, to get them ready for the world. I love the quote, it's perfect.

~Shanon

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Congratulations to your daughter and new son-in-love :) The wedding photos were beautiful, and so was the bride and her mama! Sorry to read about the home-going of your fil, but I know that God is carrying you through all these changes in your life.
Blessings to you Debbie!
Marcia

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

What wonderful words of wisdom from your mother...so sweet and true!

Colt moved out into his own apartment last September and I have closed the door and not done a thing in there. It was too hard. But it's time now. I'm ready and it will be therapeutic as you said.

Your daughter's dress was absolutely gorgeous! She was too!

Tammy

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I feel for you! I have two more years and then my daughter will be done with college and moving out.

I've always found that working on a new project takes my mind of things. Learning something new also is a good idea.

Congratulations to your daughter and SIL - what a cute photo!

craftyles said...

Working on a new project is great medicine. I did a guest room when my son moved out and it really did help. (even though he ended up back home for awhile) You are lucky your daughter is married to a great guy. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Becca@Plumbers Geelong said...

So inspiring those words... i share it to my daughter although she still in grade school.
Thinking that day will come, wish I can stop the time and keep stay young my kids.

Miss Gracie's House said...

awww...Debbie...I know your heart...is is so hard...I remember when my first baby left and got married...I was so sad too...I looked at some older women in our church and saw that they could still laugh and I decided that I probably would live through it and be happy one day:)...have fun decorating that room...there's gotta be some perks to them leaving, right? I am right where you are...re-decorating one of the *empty* bedrooms...it seems so strange to fix up a bedroom for no-one but it's gonna be purty.
Take care, sweetie.
Rene

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

How funny that you and I (the color girls!) are both going with neutral colors for our new "spare rooms"! We take Abby down to Austin in two weeks to start at UT, and I am determined to not be looking at an empty bedroom, since she is taking most of her bedding and decor with her. Thankfully we empty nesters can keep ourselves busy with new projects! And now that I have read this, I'm going to go buy a couple of really cute new outfits to wear while we're moving her!! Tell you sweet mom thank you from all of us for that wonderful advice. xoxo, Andrea

Pin It button on image hover