March 16, 2012

Shutters + Pallet=Patio shelving DIY

Hey everyone! We had such a lovely day out here I decided to work  on a project I have had in my mind for ages.  I love shutters, and I have several pallets on our farm...just
like chocolate and peanut butter go together I thought why couldn't
these two marry each other and make a little shelving for the patio.
I painted both of them...
 then got out the drill, screws and hinges.   I attached the hinges first to the pallet, and then each shutter.
I matched up the doors to make sure they fit snug against one another before drilling any holes.
It is also good to mark with a pencil where you will be drilling, and use a measuring tape if needed. I tend to eyeball things, and if they look even I start drilling.
 
 Next I wanted shelves inside this little unit, and picket fence wood pieces fit perfectly inside the pallet. I whitewashed the  picket fence pieces lightly to give a distressed look.
They couldn't have fit more perfectly.

 I drilled holes and then used wood screws to hold the shelves in place.
 Next I had found an old sprinkler piece I wanted to use as a handle. So again I drilled holes on the left shutter.

The shelves obviously are not deep but do hold little mason jar candle holders, terra cotta pots and other little garden items.






Joining in with
My email is DebbBoo9@aol.com if you need to ask me any questions.
Blessings,
Debbie

16 comments:

Terrie Lee R said...

What a great idea and super cute! I have a couple of shutters laying around also but didn't know what to do with them. I'm so going to do this!
Thanks for sharing. - Terrie

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Now that is so clever. Who would have thought. Great idea. Hugs, Marty

Stacey said...

Cool idea! Very nice job! Would love if you came by to visit and link up - my party is happening now! I would love to have you there!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Man girl are you ever handy!!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Adorable...oh I would love to have one...ok, remember to tell hubby to find me a pallet...yeah, uh, I better work a little on this one!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

How cute and creative! Love the latch!

Debbie Kay said...

You never cease to amaze me! You have the best ideas and just whip those projects up!

Love it!

Smiles,

Debbie

TracyMB @ Crow's Feet Chic said...

Aren't you clever??? Love how it looks beside the stove... a gorgeous outdoor vignette! Thanks much for your sweet comments on my blog! :)

Blondie's Journal said...

This is fantastic, Debbie...you are incredibly talented! You are going to inspire a lot of ladies! Love it!

XO,
Jane

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Girl, you are a clever one! I had to leave so many pallets in our neighborhood big trash this month, it just made me sick. Next month I'm borrowing someone's truck, I already have the shutters! Thanks for such a great idea. Hope the wedding plans are going well! xoxoxoxo, Andrea

Wild Oak Designs said...

You are so creative! How clever...thanks for sharing your ideas....glad to find you...
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Jeri said...

This is adorable!! I love your blog, I'm a new follower! I'm getting lost in all your wonderful posts, your home looks so warm and cozy!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!
xoxo
Jeri

Audrey said...

Creative way to use a pallet and the shutters are just perfect. Need me a pallet ... have all kinds of shutters. Thanks for sharing.
GOOD JOB!
Hope you will visit me @ Timeless Treasures.
Saw you an FJI.
My party link is #181.
Audrey Z

Cindy said...

Such a cute idea!
XO Cindy

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Very clever!
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

{northern cottage} said...

love it - just awesome extra storage that looks pretty to boot!

www.NorthernCottage.net

Pin It button on image hover