March 18, 2012

Altered cans for spring and organizing


Hey everyone!  I finally did it. I have been gathering supplies to decorate some cans to use for storage-ribbons, rick rack, lace, etc. All for organizing my sewing room. It's sort of thrifty to use what you have...right?
I have cans (vegetable, soup, fruit cocktail...)that I emptied out and then altered/decorated.


I love rick rack and use it for many of my projects, and items that are sewn for my Etsy shop.  I have rick rack in many colors and decided to store them in decorated cans. 
Next I will label each can with a small tag to match.
Easter party @ 
and 

Below is an altered can for Easter.
I'm going to fill it with candy and jelly beans.

For my sewing room I collected cans, lace, doilies, vintage images mostly from Graphics Fairy blog, and plugged in the glue gun.
***********************************
 Always have a small bowl of water nearby...if you are like me
and you will indeed burn yourself with the glue gun, putting the burned finger immediately in the bowl of water stops the burning.... immediately!


 I glue a line of glue across the can, attaching the precut paper (it is easier to measure and cut before you glue).
Add another line of glue after you have wrapped the paper around the can...so the can is now covered with paper. Trim with a sharp edge, craft knife or razor blade to have an even edge.
 Next I added rick rack at the top edge for a clean finish.  I used a scalloped hole punch and cut out several vintage images for the Easter cans. Glued a doily to the can, centered the image onto the doily.
To the left I added a ribbon bow, with a large button on top of the bow. Next I added a small button and a little silk rosette on top of that.  Stuff with Easter grass. Fill with candy, jelly beans, and chocolate.



 I had some scrapbook supplies and one of them was a punch out butterfly...I bent it in the center and glued it to the can.

I found this old plate rack covered in dirt outside at a consignment store in the little town where I live.  Cleaned her up, spray painted her and decided to use her for organizing all my ribbon and rick rack.





 Thank you so much for coming by.
Joining in with all the fun today @
http://www.iheartnaptime.net/
www.debbiedoescreations.com.
blessings,
Debbie

21 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

What an adorable idea and great way to use up those cans we all throw away!!! Just darling!!! I have a little shelf like that that was used for teacups and saucers.

I'm showing off my new craft table- would love for you to come by and see it!

bee blessed
mary

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

how adorable is that??

Angela said...

I am SO lovin it Debbie. AWEsome job!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Cute cute cute! You always do the CUTEST THINGS!! I would love to walk through your house and see all your darling things.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Debbie Sweetie...
These are so darn cute. I just love the way they all turned out. You really outdid yourself girl. I am so clapping, clapping for you.

You have inspired me to reconsider tossing out my cans. DH is going to kill me.

Have a glorious Sunday sweetie. Country hugs and much love, Sherry

Patti said...

These cans are so sweet and colorful - I love them! You are so creative. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas! I bet your craftroom is just adorable! Of course it is - RED lives there!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Debbie, that is as cute as can be and the colors are fabulous!!! BTW I got myself a low heat glue gun........Fabulous, You can put your fingers right in the glue and it does not burn! Now, I am not saying bad words LOL!

Carol

Gail said...

What a CUTE and clever idea Debbie! I just may have to steal this idea when I re-organize my office. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration, Gail

Hopeful1 said...

That is an adorable idea! It looks great!
- Hope : )
http://hopefuloneblog.blogspot.com/

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I can't wait until I have time to craft again. I think these are really cute...I love the Easter ones!

Leann said...

Good Morning Debbie

You always inspire me - I love the sweet new shelf it's wonderful!

Have a great day!
Leann

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Such a sweet and simple idea! thanks Debbie! (I blogged about my pillow win!)

Jacqueline said...

Couldn't be cuter and easier! And saving the planet at the same time - this project is amazing. I just adore the vintage animal prints. What a beautiful way to store. My grandkids would love to be in on a project like this!

Sandy said...

SO love this idea! Perfect for swaps and such this spring! Thank you for posting this! :)

Coffee Mom said...

Absolutely adorable!!

GennieG said...

They look great. I have just started to save cans and jars too. I was going to paint them but I may now do what you did too. Thank you for sharing!

Connie said...

Debbie, I was doing the very same thing today. I had saved some tin cans. Covered them in scrapbook paper and trimmed them with rickrack. It must be something in the air . . . spring cleaning, organizing, making things new and fresh. I just think it's kind of funny to see that while I was doing this , so was a blogging friend. Your's look so fresh and pretty, and doesn't it feel good to have things organized. I only did four cans, but I used a pretty white background with spring flowers. It just made me happy. I love taking ordinary objects and using them in a pretty and practical way. Looks like you do too. Thanks for sharing, Connie

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

So adorable! Very creative.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

{northern cottage} said...

LOVE the colors you choose for this fresh organization!

Crafty Mischief said...

How pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Heather's Haven said...

glad i'm not alone in the addiction to altering cans lol. yours turned out so pretty.

Heather

Pin It button on image hover