January 27, 2012

Valentine Altered Can tutorial -Can I be your Valentine?

Hey everyone! What a wonderful day here in California. I don't want to brag but it was 77 here today, a little overcast but warm...and breezy(ok windy!). 
Anyhow I have been busy altering some soup cans to hold Valentine candy for some sweet little ones that come to visit me. 

I washed and dried a couple of soup cans.
 Layed them down on paper, scrapbook paper from Joann's.
 After I made a small mark on the paper I used one of my quilting rulers to draw a line for myself.  I cut it on the line with scissors.
 Next I took a nail and made a hole on each side of the can to make a wire handle.

Next I rolled the paper around the can and glued it closed using a glue gun.  I always make sure I have a small bowl of water nearby...so that when I DO HOT GLUE MYSELF WHICH ALWAYS HAPPENS...I can dip my fingers in the water...stopping the burning sensation!

After the paper was glued on the can I used my seam ripper to puncture through the paper so that I knew where to insert the wire for the handle.
I glued trims, crepe paper, pom pom fringe....
Added bows, rosettes, doilies, till I got the look I wanted. I basically pulled out all the pink goodness I could find in my craft room and started gluing it on the can!
On my computer I printed out the phrase 
'Can' I be your Valentine?
since I was using a soup can or other cans...I thought the phrase was appropriate!

I stuffed the bottom of the inside of the can with paper towels, added a little basket filler and then stuffed the can with candy.


The second one was similar, but with aqua, creams and white.

 The can below you can finally see the little handle. I twisted wire around a pencil to give it the look it has, and then bent the edges inside the can to hold it firm.

Hope you feel inspired to create something fun for Valentine's day.  I usually give little gifts to our little nieces and nephews just for fun and because I enjoy watching their faces light up....who doesn't like a little candy on Valentine's day?



Joining in with Beverly @




and
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/
Blessings,
Debbie



19 comments:

Shelia said...

HI Debbie! You're truly the most creative ones! These little Valentine cans are adorable! I love the wire handles too and how you've shaped them! I could do this! Thanks for the tutorial and you are the best.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Betsy said...

Your valentine's cans are the cutest things I've seen in a long time! I love the play on words. What a great way to use recycled cans.

butterfly said...

Lovely Debbie, Enjoy your weekend.

Holly- Cutie Pie Cottage said...

Super cute idea, Debbie! My wheels are turning! ♥

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I CAN do this...I think I will for my 2 grands....thanks!

Marti McClure said...

Debbie, these are just fantastic! And thanks so much for the turotial, makes me want to make some this weekend. I love it when people link creative pieces that they have made on Pink Saturday, and I look forward to following your blog. Happy Pink Saturday. ~Marti

Lorraine said...

So cute, and oh so pink!! Have a great Pink Saturday!! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

chubskulit said...

Gorgeous! Happy Pink Saturday!

My PINK, have a great weekend!

Ann said...

Oh this is so lovely. A little frugal and we can create beautiful things. Thanks for sharing your lovelies for Valentines.
Ann

Katherines Corner said...

They are truly lovely. You took and ordinary object and made it grand. Thank you for sharing it with us. Hugs and Happy Pink Saturday xo

Pink Cake Plate said...

I love this Debbie!!! Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the Blog-o-sphere!! I am so making these!!!

Creations by Tee said...

I Love Your Creations! I Have Yet To Alter A Can! But Now Will Give It A Go! Thanks For The Inspiration! I Have Been Altering Jars Lately, and Cans will be next! Thanks For Sharing! Hugs,Tee

Michelle Paige said...

Your cans are so beautiful! I love the 'can' saying, too. These could be adapted for Easter as well! Thanks so much for linking up to my Valentine Link Party! I appreciate you doing that!

thistlewoodfarm said...

I cannot believe those are soup cans! You are brilliant! I would love for you to link this up at our "impossible" party! Here's the link:

http://thistlewoodfarm.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/a-journey-of-1000-steps/

Thanks for the inspiration!

blessings,
karianne

Vanessa Dawne said...

Wow Debbie -- these are beautiful. There's so many ways cans like this could be used.
dawnedesign.net

thistlewoodfarm said...

Perfect addition to the party! Thanks for linking up!

blessings,
karianne

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

So fun and festive. Thanks so much for linking up to the challenge!
Karah

Donata @ DK's Craft Cafe said...

So, so cute!
I like altering cans and your ideas are great!

(Thanks for stopping by at my blog)

Cheers!

Kate said...

You clever, girl! What a great idea. You made it look so easy and the result is gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Pin It button on image hover